Will CBD Help With Anger?
This article will answer the question, “Will CBD help with anger?”. By the time you’re done reading, you will not only know the answer, but will also have a better understanding of how CBD works and what the connection is between anger and CBD use.
What is Anger?
Anger is one of the basic human emotions. While people mostly consider it a negative emotion, it has positive aspects as well. Anger can prepare the body for a fight, which can prove vital for survival. There can be many underlying causes of anger such as:
From the scientific point of view, chemical imbalances cause anger when there is an excess or deficiency of CAs (catecholamines). CAs are neurotransmitters that regulate the functions of the nervous system like reasoning, emotions, and thinking.
For some people, anger is temporary, but it can be life-wrecking for others, especially when it turns into rage. In such cases, anger can lead to acts of violence and can have severe consequences. For such individuals, anger management is a huge part of their lives.
Some common types of anger are:
- Chronic anger
- Passive anger
- Self-inflicted anger
- Overwhelmed anger
- Volatile anger
- Judgmental disorder
Conventional anger management techniques include therapy and medication, but they require time and money. Nowadays, there are many alternative medicines on the market which are cheaper and convenient to use. CBD is one of those alternative medicines.
What is CBD?
CBD is short for cannabidiol and is the second most abundant ingredient of cannabis after THC. CBD is obtained from the hemp plant and is non-intoxicating in nature. That is why the World Health Organization (WHO) has approved CBD as safe and non-addictive.
CBD has many medicinal uses, among which the treatment of stress, anxiety, and depression is quite popular. It’s also helpful in fighting seizures, relieving pain, and inducing sleep.
Effect of CBD on Anger
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is responsible for regulating all the functions of the body. One function of ECS is to supply the right amount of CAs to control anger and other emotions. One of the cannabinoids the ECS produces is similar to CBD. So with the intake of CBD, the ECS uses it to regulate any chemical imbalances.
The following are some effects of CBD that can be related to anger management:
- The positive effect of CBD on stress closely relates to its effect on anger. Studies prove the effectiveness of CBD in stress management which, in turn, directly helps in anger management.
- Another way CBD helps with anger is that its use releases pleasure hormones in the body. As a result, these hormones activate a state of calmness, reduce stress levels, and alleviate anxiety. All of these effects help suppress anger.
- CBD has plenty of anti-inflammatory qualities that help ease the overall body and reduce pain. Pain and impairments caused by the pain can lead to stress, depression, and anxiety. Thus, the patient is prone to anger in such states. By relieving pain, CBD helps control anger indirectly.
- CBD also has antipsychotic properties which can help in conditions like schizophrenia and mood swings. By neutralizing the mood, it suppresses the anger.
- Another cause of anger is frustration because of cognitive and sensory impairment. CBD helps reduce both of these impairments, thus reducing the chances of anger outbursts.
- Lack of sleep can lead to anger as well. So CBD is helpful as it tends to induce sleep.
TTo answer the question if CBD will help with anger, it’s safe to say that CBD helps with conditions such as insomnia, anxiety, and depression that might increase anger in an individual. So CBD helps indirectly by helping manage stress and other such precursors of anger. However, more research is continuously being done to study CBD and its effects on the body and brain. If you’re interested in using CBD, speak to your doctor first.